Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Axew, Get in my Hair!

All right, here comes the fun part! Well, not all that fun. Took me a good while to do.

Basically, time to get started on the main parts of the hair!

I created a pattern which is a larger version of a similar pattern I previously tested. All the fleece is properly cut out.



Stuffing and hard styrofoam are the next ingredients.


I cut the Styrofoam into a useable shape, then inserted the bolts which are what attaches them to the head. Don't have a picture of those. Then, I stuffed the oblong shapes with the Styrofoam and polyester fiberfill.


Made simple shapes for the lumps on the pigtails, stuffed them, and hand-stitched them onto the large forms.


Completed and inserted!


Onto the main ponytail. This took a lot of pre-planning time. I think I was brainstorming it every night.

The inside of the hair is to be stuffed with a large, egg-shaped plastic balloon. It's an inflatable made of four pieces, so I traced a 1/4th section and then modified that to have an extended top. Took a lot of measurements during this process.


The result is a big old bag! There is a zipper installed at one of the seams, so I can freely remove and replace the balloon, should I need to travel.



Pinned back the parts I left unglued and attached the hair like the drawing. The fabric of her main hair is two layers of fleece thick, so what I did was glue the first layer down underneath the flaps, then cut the outer layer to match with the bottom of the flaps before gluing those down. Kinda hard to explain, but basically it's so the transition from thinner scalp hair to thicker ponytail hair is less noticeable.



Not bad! The fabric gets a bit bunched up in places near the top, but I suppose it can't be helped. I'm pleased with the overall silhouette.

Final things to do:
- Cover padding in fabric, glue padding in place
- Bulb shape at the bottom of ponytail
- Yellow hair clips and hair band
- Tongue and teeth
- Adding adjustable strap behind hair

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Iris is really looking fantastic. It's amazing how you can portray her cartoony hair so perfectly with fleece and stuffing. I just hope that the combined weight of her hair and the mask isn't too heavy.

Anonymous said...

How's the vision out of the mask.